Friends of Orphans is dedicated to improving the lives of orphaned, abandoned or disadvantaged children served by NPH (Nuestros Pequenos Hermanos – Our Little Brothers and Sisters) – a network of homes in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Saint Mary’s relationship with NPH began in 2008 when children from NPH Nicaragua were welcomed for a visit. A year later, we welcomed children from NPH El Salvador. These grace-filled visits with the children and their priest soon led to our first Mission Trip to NPH Guatemala in 2009. Three more Mission Trips in 2010 and 2011 were opportunities for our volunteers to embrace various projects:
- Repairing solar panels used to heat water in a children’s residence
- Constructing a special lavatory facility for the children
- Improving electrical wiring in a children’s residence
- Constructing a dining room for an off-campus children’s residence
- Sewing curtains for windows in the home
- Sewing bedding for the children’s beds
- Sewing pajamas for babies and the younger children
- Sewing table cloths for the dining hall
Looking beyond the generosity of our parishioners in supporting these projects…our Mission Trip volunteers developed meaningful relationships where culture and language have no boundaries. We discovered first-hand the power of Love, Caring and Acceptance in the life of a child. These grace-filled journeys often lead volunteers to remark that “Whatever we may bring…we return home with more than we left behind.” Another volunteer observed that “The children at NPH have already found what we’re all looking for.”
Interested in learning more about Friends of Orphans? Contact Joe or Lisa (219-662-0535) or the Parish Office (219-663-0044).